Forge and its little sibling Weld are our first 100% US-made yarns - and we're the first European stockists of Hudson + West, the fabulous company who makes them! A heathered blend of 70% Merino and 30% Corriedale, Forge is spun up to a worsted weight. It's a round, extremely well-balanced 3ply yarn that works so, so well for cables and texture. It has a beautiful balance of stitch definition, bounce, and wooly, cohesive bloom after blocking. One of our new favorites!
Explore our range of Hudson + West Co patterns here.
• 70% Merino (from Colorado and New Mexico, US) & 30% Corriedale (from New York US)
• Worsted weight: 215 meters per 100 grams / 235 yards per 3.5 ounces
• Recommended needle size: 4 - 5mm / US 6 - 8
• Semi-worsted spun, 3 ply
• Entirely sourced, spun and dyed in the US
• Merino is sourced in white and grey from larger ranches in Colorado and New Mexico, and Corriedale in a variety of natural colors from smaller farmers throughout upstate New York, many of them in the Hudson Valley.
• Spun at Mountain Meadow Wool in Buffalo, Wyoming
• Dyed at Ultimate Textile in Rutherfordton, North Carolina
• Developed with sustainability and traceability at its heart while still maintaining a very strong designer-led ethos - the yarn is not only extremely sustainably produced, it's also just really, really good yarn.
• Fiber & yarn origin: US
We're always excited to talk yarn and knitting and answer any questions you might have!
Haven’t started knitting with Forge but it’s lovely!
Feels lovely. I’m familiar with the wool after living in New Mexico Going to make a hat with it
Glad I tried it!
I am glad I you gave me the chance to try this yarn out for a little one skein project. It is smooth and shows of cables and texture very well. I like the hat I knitted from this yarn, but honestly I wouldn‘t knit a garment out of it, because it‘s on the upper price range and not affordable for me. But with one skein I now have a very special luxurious treasure.
Hudson and West Co Forge Projects
Cozy up this fall in Amelia by Hudson and West Co's co-founder Sloane Rosenthal. This laid back, preppy nod to classic cabled knitwear is the comfy layer that you’ll reach for over and over again throughout the year. Amelia’s squishy central cable and flanking rope twists are repeated on the front + back and is peppered with basketweave stitch on the sides and arms.
Oisin (Osh-een) by Meghan Babin is the mate to her Ailm scarf, featuring the same cables in our worsted weight Forge for a cozy, handsome beanie for all. Made with a deep, squishy fold-over brim, the cables flow naturally from the brim ribbing and decrease away seamlessly into the crown.
More Pattern Recommendations for Hudson and West Co Forge:
Bold chevrons, high contrast colors and a super trendy silhouette all make Kuffel by Alexis Winslow a true jewel. Constructed from the top down, this oversized pullover features all the trademark finishing elements of a Hudson and West Co design.
Cian (Kee-an) by Emily Greene is another instant classic, featuring Emily’s architectural slanting cables, textures, and pleasing symmetry. Made for gatherings around fall campfires, weekend hikes, and blustery days, this go-to hat will surely be stuffed into coat pockets from fall through the winter.
Fall Creek by Emily Greene is our instant classic for everyone. Made in our soft and durable Forge, this cardigan is a year round favorite, featuring Emily’s trademark ribs and intersecting diagonal lines. This cardigan is a gender-less design.